10 Cheap Tricks for Beautifying the Bathroom
Winter is a great time for Do It Yourselfers (DIY) to take on a project. This is particularly important for anyone trying to sell their home.
Bathrooms are a key feature that buyers look at when making purchasing decisions. The number of bathrooms is a standard listing detail for all homes. Changing the number of bathrooms or their location is a massive undertaking that I don't recommend except in very specific circumstances. There's usually no need to go to that extent. However upgrading bathrooms can make a positive effect in showcasing your home. But ... will you net out more as a seller by upgrading you bathroom? That's the key.
Full bathroom renovations can be very expensive, particularly with multiple bathrooms. However; there are some shortcuts I recommend.
Here's a list of 10 tips for DIY'ers to upgrade your bathroom cheaply.
- Paint the walls
- Upgrade the mirror
- Change the facets
- Redo the grout
- Upgrade the window coverings
- If floor is dirty or very dated - install lino tiles or maybe a brand new mat. If you bathroom is fully carpeted --- this is one of those musts -- remove it. There is nothing I've seen close a buyers mind more fully than a shag carpeted bathroom.
- Change the lighting
- New shower curtain. If the curtain is out of you budget a simple clean liner works well
- Patch any sink or tub chips
- Do a mini toilet makeover. If seat is worn, replace the seat. If the bolts at bottom of toilet are showing, replace the cover caps. A tasteful decorative item sitting on the back of the toilet (on the tank) draws the buyers eye up from the toilet bowl.
Remember that clean and simple is better. Try to make your bathroom as neutral as possible. This gives buyers a palette for their own decorating ideas.
I'll close with the simplest of all tips. If its not in your budget to make any of the above upgrades, just clean the surfaces of clutter and close the toilet lid, before photos or a potential buyer visits.
Mike Alleyne, Real Estate AgentHomeLife Benchmark604-785-7066